Reporting directly to the ownership, the Operations Manager’s key area of accountability is to plan construction projects and oversee their execution and report on their progress along the way in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Key responsibilities include budgeting, planning, organizing, implementation and scheduling of a variety of construction projects. Deliver on service and project management excellence with confidence, build trust with clients/trades. Remain accountable through the duration of project and hold your team accountable. Have passion for building and design.
Experience in custom home building ideal, residential contracting required.
- Create costing for projects ensuring they meet requirements and are effective and efficient
- Complete take offs on new project opportunities
- Prepare quote, proposals and job costing for new potential opportunities
- Oversee and direct construction projects from conception to completion
- Review the project in-depth to schedule deliverables and estimate costs
- Oversee all onsite and offsite construction to monitor compliance with building and safety regulations
- Coordinate and direct team members, trades and subcontractors
- Select tools, materials and equipment and track inventory
- Review the work in progress daily
- Prepare internal and external reports pertaining to job status
- Plan to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones
- Negotiate terms of agreement, draft contracts and obtain permits and licenses
- Analyze, manage and mitigate risks
- Manage the operational and fiscal activities of the business including: staffing levels, budgets, and financial goals.
- Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas in need of cost reduction and/or program improvement.
- Responsible for Profit and Loss of operation.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives and procedures conferring with management, and key staff members as required.
- Work closely with Human Resources to determine people processes and requirements.
- Supervise staff in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Establish employee goals and conduct employee performance reviews.
- Assist staff to resolve complex or out of policy operation problems.
- Manage and supervise staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific duties.
- Monitor operations and fieldwork to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide needed services while staying within set budgetary limits.
- Ensure quality construction standards and the use of proper construction techniques
- Act as a resource and mentor for project managers, supervisors and employees.
- Enhance the organization’s reputation by service excellence; manage the client’s expectations through transparency and follow up and exploring opportunities to add value
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray the company in a positive manner.
- Exceptional client relationship management expertise
- Proven working experience in residential/commercial construction management
- Advanced knowledge of construction management processes, means, and methods
- An absolute MUST: Expert knowledge of building products, construction details, and relevant rules, regulations, and quality standards as per the Ontario Building Code (OBC)
- Understanding of all facets of the construction process
- Familiarity with construction management software packages, including Excel and (other), accounting software
- Ability to plan and see the “big picture”
- Competent in conflict and crisis management
- Leadership and human resources management skills
- Excellent time and project management skills
- At least 3 years of experience as a Lead in Residential Construction
- Post-secondary education in construction management, architecture, engineering or related field
- Knowledgeable in Health and Safety regulations
- Valid Driver’s license
- A criminal record security background check will be conducted